What are essential oils?
In short, essential oils are from plants, and every one has a unique medicinal benefit. In fact, there are hundreds of published studies done on the effectiveness of essential oils and human health (check out pub med and frankincense!)
The longer story is that an essential oil is derived from an aromatic plant using a careful steam distillation process. The oil is 50-70% more powerful than the dried counterpart. For example, 1 drop of peppermint essential oil is equivalent to drinking 28 cups of peppermint tea! Essential oils each have hundreds of different compounds in them, and each compound can have a different benefit. For example, peppermint oil can be used to support upset stomach, tension aches, and even increase alertness.
You can use essential oils aromatically for mood support, because when smelled, the aromatic compounds can actually affect change in the limbic center of the brain, which controls emotions and neurotransmitter production. Using a diffuser, putting the oils on your chest or neck, or even just smelling them can make a huge difference in emotion!
Applying the oils topically, specifically on the bottoms of your feet, allows the oils to get into your bloodstream within 30 seconds. Once they are in the bloodstream, they have access to every cell in the body. Every cell is protected by a layer of fat, which makes it difficult to deliver synthetic pharmaceuticals. Essential oils, on the other hand, can penetrate that layer because they are fat-soluble, so they can affect change on a cellular level, like supporting the immune response to viruses, supporting healthy DNA replication and improving cellular communication!
I have used essential oils in my home and in my nutrition practice to support the immune system, hormonal balance, respiratory health, emotional and neurological health, musculoskeletal system and skin health for both adults and children with tremendous success! My favorite thing about them is their speedy effectiveness, such that as a natural healthcare practitioner, I actually have a healthy alternative to OTC meds.
Here are a few of my favorite essential oils:
- Frankincense - removes inflammation from the body and works at a deep, cellular level to correct dysfunction.
- Oregano - helps to keep away bacterial infections. It’s a “medicine cabinet in a bottle”.
- Lavender - assists to provide relaxation, calming effects, helps with sleep, removes feelings of anxiousness, and is great for healthy skin.
- On Guard - provides incredible immune support against a wide range of illnesses, and is recommended for all ages.
- DigestZen - supports healthy digestion to aid in the reduction of stomach pains, nausea, irregular bowel function and gas.
- Peppermint - very helpful for head pain and muscle tension, lowers body temperature, and helps increase oxygen in the body. This is very helpful for muscle and connective tissue pain.
- Lemon - great for building immunity, effective detox, and supporting respiratory function.
- Deep Blue - wonderful for connective tissue, muscle, and joint aches, pains, and tensions, growing pains, and is helpful for head tension.
- Melaleuca - helpful for healthy skin, diminishing blemishes, eliminating mouth sores, and supporting gum health. It’s also AMAZING for ear pain and aches!
- Breathe - The BEST oil for respiratory health, opens airways, and supports healthy lung function.
Always make sure your essential oils are PURE. There are so many synthetic and diluted brands on the market these days, so always look for Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade oils - Get your CPTG essential oils today!
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions, or need any information about essential oils for a specific purpose.
Lindsea Burns, NTP